A Mother's Account of Learning to Teach Her Children At Home
I am a SAHM and teacher of six beautiful daughters. I decided to create this blog because I needed somewhere to write down what I was and am going through as I learn about the wide world of homeschooling. I figured why not share that process, in case there was anyone that found it as overwhelming as I did! I hope you enjoy your stay and perhaps find something helpful in your own journey!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

First Fieldtrip

Today was a good day for homeschooling!

We got all of our chores done! It took longer than I would like, but that’s because the girls’ room was a disaster. Now that there are no disaster areas in the house, the morning chores should take a lot less time. We will see how it goes tomorrow. I was just so glad we got it done. And in time to play some games before lunch, too!

This afternoon, we went on our first fieldtrip. We took the girls to a local museum that has an exhibit about the evolution of dogs. The girls are crazy about dogs, so had wanted to go to this for a while. There were lots of neat displays that the girls enjoyed learning from. There were some giant dog ears that you used to find the sound of termites, to give a person an idea of what it would be like to hear like a canine. There was another area that had a pressure plate where you could feel the rhythm of a human or dog heart at rest or running. The girls really liked the areas that showed the many ways in which dogs help humans.



Another section of the museum has a kids' room to play in and learn about local wildlife and history. The girls had a lot of fun playing in the log home, tipi, beaver dam and caves. Don’t know if they necessarily learned a lot in this area, but they had fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment