A Mother's Account of Learning to Teach Her Children At Home
I am a SAHM and teacher of six beautiful daughters. I decided to create this blog because I needed somewhere to write down what I was and am going through as I learn about the wide world of homeschooling. I figured why not share that process, in case there was anyone that found it as overwhelming as I did! I hope you enjoy your stay and perhaps find something helpful in your own journey!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pause

We've had to put homeschooling on hold for this year and enroll the older girls back into public school. The reasons for this are many and varied. First - we hated the language arts curriculum we were dealing with and it was making my oldest daughter hate homeschooling. Second - we are currently living with another family while my husband finds work and we get a home of our own. Trying to set my family's schedule to fit another family's that is totally different from ours is frustrating, to say the least, and was causing me intense stress. Third - I am unexpectedly pregnant. Add that to the stress of an unemployed husband, living with another family, my asthma meds being too expensive to buy, etc. and I was about to have a nervous breakdown. So after much consideration and prayer, my husband and I decided to place the girls back into public school until he has work and we have a home of our own.

So far, the girls being in public school has reinforced my desire to homeschool. Dealing with the bureaucratic nightmare of Utah public schools is no picnic. Both girls are almost two grades ahead in math, but the school has no advanced math programs. And the schedule sucks, they don't get out of school until almost 4pm. By the time we get home and homework done, it's time for dinner, baths and bed.

On the bright side, Dad has finally found a job! On the downside, it is not enough for us to move out yet. But hopefully it is a sign of better things to come and we will be homeschooling again by next fall at the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment